Honoring The Past, Serving The Present, Dedicated To The Future
In the 1740’s and ’50’s a number of German Moravians came to the New World and settled in Broadbay in what is now the state of Maine. But the New England climate was too harsh for many of them, and they decided to search for a more hospitable location to settle. It so happened that their pastor was George Soelle, a Moravian minister, and he knew that his church had recently bought Wachovia, consisting of 100,000 acres of land in central North Carolina. So the families set sail, and enduring shipwreck, seasickness, and fever, they arrived in Wachovia in two waves in November 1769 and autumn 1770.
This time the Broadbayers found a place where they could stay. The Moravian Church set aside about 2,000 acres of land for them, and each family took up 200 acres, with 30 acres in the middle reserved for the church. The settlement was organized into a society of the Moravian Church on July 21, 1771, and the name Friedland (Land of Peace) was given to it.Work on a meeting house went slowly, but on February 18, 1775, the society welcomed Tycho Nissen as its first pastor and the building was consecrated with a lovefeast. Friedland was formally organized as a congregation of the Moravian Church on September 3, 1780.
Through shifting currents of Methodism, rising tides of Baptists, loss from migration westward, frequent inability to support their pastor, and sometimes Provincial neglect, the Friedland congregation has quietly progressed.The first meeting house served Friedland for almost three-quarters of a century, until it was removed to make way for the second church, which was consecrated on October 31, 1847.
The second church served Friedland for more than a century, and when the new brick sanctuary was opened for worship on December 21, 1952, the service began in the old building and progressed into the new. The new church was dedicated on December 18, 1953.
In 1990, Friedland opened its Child Care Center for infants through pre-kindergarten and before and after school care for children through the fifth grade.
A capital campaign, begun in 2001, has resulted in several improvements to the church building, including an elevator, a drive-up entrance, a music room , and youth activity space. In 2013 work began on Friedland’s kitchen and has since been certified as a commercial kitchen.
“Our purpose is
to make the
Lord Jesus Christ
a reality in the
lives of people”
In essentials, unity; in nonessentials, liberty; and in all things love.